International Centre for Social and Economic Research «Leontief Centre»
The International Centre for Social and Economic Research “Leontief Centre” (ICSER “Leontief Centre”) was established in 1991 on the joint initiative of the Mayor of St. Petersburg Anatoliy Sobchak and Wassily Leontief, a St. Petersburg-born well-known economist and Nobel Prize winner, with the objective to implement the expert support for market reforms in Russia, providing counseling and guidance to regional and local authorities in the working out of socio-economic development plans and effective mechanisms for strategic management.
The Leontief Centre is a independent research and consulting organization.
In 2002 under the Leontief Centre a Resource Centre on Strategic Planning for Russian Cities and Regions was established to promote the growth of professionalism in the management of social processes in Russian cities and regions by promoting best international standards as a strategic planning and management, the development of networking and partnerships.
Leontief Centre mission: to promote top international standards of quality in social and economic research and consultancy with a view towards fostering more professional methods of governance for Russian cities and regions.
The following principles are at the core of the Leontief Centres philosophy:
- openness to cooperation;
- willingness to share its research findings;
- emphasis on partnerships and networking.
Leontief Centre has made its best effort to:
- focus on communities’ real economic and social needs;
- stay ahead in terms of the subject areas and level of its research, promoting the standards of the future through its pilot projects;
- involve the best Russian and international experts;
- remain independent, non-partisan in its political beliefs;
- break down stereotypes and wide-spread delusions
Major activities of the Leontief Centre are:
- organizing and conducting research on problems of regional and urban economies;
- providing consulting and methodological support to the government of the Russian Federation and to the administrations of Russian subjects of Federation in the development of the scientifically well-grounded socio-economic programs, draft laws and effective mechanisms of strategic management;
- coordinating work and participating in international research and consulting projects;
- organizing scientific conferences, workshops, trainings, practical seminars and exhibitions;
- publishing activities.